Las Vegas Centennial Commission marker reads:
Las Vegas was born a railroad town. The first train depot was built here [Main Street and Fremont Street] by the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad in 1905. Senator William A. Clark of Montana, and his brother J. Ross Clark, were the co-founders of this railroad. The brothers eventually sold their interest to the Union Pacific in 1921. The early Mission style depot was replaced in 1940 by a streamline Moderne structure. The depot was demolished in 1970 to make way for the Union Plaza Hotel, which was built in 1971. Passenger train service continued for many years with the depot located inside the hotel. At the head of Fremont Street, the depot building symbolized the railroad's economic, political and social dominance over the town.
The land currently occupies: Plaza Hotel and Casino.
Was located on Main Street and Fremont Street in Las Vegas, Nevada.