Raul Jusinto

Potosi


Mt Potosi
"Mount Potosi seen from the east" by Stan Shebs is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.

Mt Potosi Mine
"Potosi Mining District" by Stan Shebs is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.

Potosi
Photograph of Potosi Mine, Nevada, circa early to mid 1900s. Elbert Edwards Photo Collection. UNLV Libraries Special Collections & Archives. Original cropped by Raul Jusinto.

Potosi Spring
"Potosi Spring" by Stan Shebs is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.

Nathaniel Vary Jones
Nathaniel V. Jones (1822-1863).

Nevada Historical Marker 115 reads:

The desire of local Mormon settlers for economic self-sufficiency led to mining by missionaries for lead at Potosí. In 1858, Nathaniel V. Jones was sent to recover ore from the “mountain of lead” 30 miles southwest of the mission at Las Vegas Springs. About 9,000 lbs. were recovered before smelting difficulties forced the remote mine to be abandoned in 1857. Potosi became the first abandoned mine in Nevada.

In 1861, California mining interests reopened the mine, and a smelter and rock cabins for 100 miners made up the camp of Potosi. Even more extensive operations resulted after the transcontinental Salt Lake and San Pedro R.R. (now the union pacific) was built through the county in 1905.

During World War I, Potosi was an important source of zinc.

Queho Posse Chapter 1919 E Clampus Vitus marker reads:

Originally located in April 1856, when a Paiute Indian showed Mormon miners where "heavy rock" could be found, the Potosi Mine is the oldest in southern Nevada. Opened under the direction of Nathaniel V. Jones, it operated until January 1857, when the first effort ended. The lead was too brittle for bullets due to the high zinc and silver content. By 1861, the mine was being worked by the Colorado Mining Company, but this also only lasted a few years.

With the early twentieth century mining boom in the Goodsprings area, the Potosi was reopened. In 1913, the Empire Zinc Company bought the mine, building an aerial tram and baby gauge railroad to the site. By 1915, the Potosi mine was the largest zinc producer in Nevada, in addition to significant amounts of lead and silver. Production ended about 1930.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Located in Potosi Mountain.