Las Vegas Centennial Commission marker reads:
With the start of the Hoover Dam project in 1931, Las Vegas began to spread out in all directions. The area around the high school emerged as a significant residential neighborhood. Most of the single-family residences were built between 1928 and the beginning of World War II. The houses featured many different architectural styles, notable Tudor revival, Mission and Ranch. Many of the city's prominent citizens lived in the neighborhood in the 1930s. Starting in the 1980s, many homes were converted to professional offices, while maintaining their architectural and historic character. Although most of the families are gone, the flavor of the neighborhood is very similar to what it was when it began.
Nevada Historical Marker 190 reads:
Charles “Pop” Squires, often referred to as “the Father of Las Vegas,” lived at this location [408 South 7th Street], with his wife Delphine, from 1931 until his death in 1958.
Squires first arrived in the Las Vegas Valley in February 1905. He and his partners established a lumberyard, a tent hotel, a real estate firm, and the First State Bank. In March 1906, “Pop” assisted in the formation of the Consolidated Power & Telephone Company, bringing electricity and phone service to the new town.
In 1908, Squires and his wife purchased the community’s only newspaper, the Las Vegas Age. Squires campaigned for the creation of Clark County in 1909. He subsequently worked on incorporating Las Vegas into a city. With his wife and the voice of their newspaper, the couple became advocates for women’s suffrage. As a member of the League of the Southwest and the Colorado River Commission, Squires helped advance plans that eventually led to the construction of Hoover Dam.
Upon “Pop’s” passing, Las Vegas Sun reporter Bob Faiss wrote, “It seems strange that Las Vegas, a modern boomtown … should owe so much to the foresight of one man. But there is little we have today that wasn’t given an initial shove by ‘Pop’ Squires.”
Historic Las Vegas neighborhood dating back to the 1920s.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Listed as a U.S Historic District.
Roughly bounded by: East Bridger Avenue, South 9th Street, Gass Avenue, South 6th Street.