With the start of the Hoover Dam project in 1931, Las Vegas began to spread out in all directions. The area around the high school emerged as a significant residential neighborhood. Most of the single-family residences were built between 1928 and the beginning of World War II. The houses featured many different architectural styles, notable Tudor revival, Mission and Ranch. Many of the city's prominent citizens lived in the neighborhood in the 1930s. Starting in the 1980s, many homes were converted to professional offices, while maintaining their architectural and historic character. Although most of the families are gone, the flavor of the neighborhood is very similar to what it was when it began.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.