Raul Jusinto

Kiel Ranch


Kyle Ranch
Photograph of Edwin Kiel and Willard and Hampton George at Kiel Ranch, North Las Vegas (Nev.), 1893-1900. Willard Hampton George II Collection on the Kiel Family. UNLV Libraries Special Collections & Archives.

Kyle (Kiel) Ranch
The adobe structure was built towards the late 19th century.

Kyle (Kiel) Ranch
The Doll House (Children's Playhouse) was built in 1939 by Edwin Loose.

Conrad Kyle
Conrad Kiel (1807-1894). Present-day Kyle Canyon is the location where Conrad Kiel once operated a saw mill. Photograph of Conrad Kiel, North Las Vegas (Nev.), 1893-1894. Willard Hampton George II Collection on the Kiel Family. UNLV Libraries Special Collections & Archives. Original cropped by Raul Jusinto.

Kyle Spring
The historic Kyle Spring. The area was once a lush wetland and inhabited by indigenous Paiute tribes.

Kyle Ranch White Mansion
The White Mansion was built in 1909 by John S. Park. It was Destroyed by a fire in 1992.

Kyle Ranch
Aerial photograph of Kiel Ranch, May 15, 1974. North Las Vegas Bicentennial Collection. UNLV Libraries Special Collections & Archives. Original cropped by Raul Jusinto.

Archibald Stewart
Archibald Stewart (1833-1884).

Nevada Historical Marker 224 reads:

Established by Conrad Kiel in 1875, this was one of the only two major ranches in Las Vegas Valley throughout the 19th century. The Kiel tenure was marked by violence. Neighboring rancher Archibald Stewart was killed in a gunfight here in 1884. Edwin and William Kiel were found murdered on the ranch in October 1900.

The San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad purchased the ranch in 1903 and later sold it to Las Vegas banker John S. Park, who built the elegant white mansion.

Subsequent owners included Edwin Taylor (1924-39), whose cowboy ranch hands competed in national rodeos, and Edwin Losee (1939-58), who developed the Boulderado Dude Ranch here, a popular residence for divorce seekers.

In the late 1950's, business declined and the ranch was sold. In 1976, 26 acres of the original ranch were purchased jointly by the City of North Las Vegas and its Bicentennial Committee as a historic project.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

Located at 2465 Kiel Way, North Las Vegas, Nevada.