Raul Jusinto

El Dorado Canyon


El Dorado Canyon

Techatticup Mine
Photograph of Techatticup Mine, 1930s-1950s. Logan Collection. UNLV Libraries Special Collections & Archives.

Queho's Cave
Film transparency of Queho's remains, unidentified location, circa 1940. Manis Collection. UNLV Libraries Special Collections & Archives.

Techatticup Mine
"Techatticup Mine" by Sydney Martinez/TravelNevada is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Keyhole Canyon
"Petroglyphs, Keyhole Canyon, Eldorado Mountains South of Boulder City, Nevada." by Ken Lund is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.

Colorado River Steamboat
Photograph of a steamboat, Colorado River, circa 1880s. Elbert Edwards Photo Collection. UNLV Libraries Special Collections & Archives.

Nevada Historical Marker 6 reads:

Eldorado Canyon, the site of a mining boom, runs east from here to the Colorado River. Prospectors began digging for gold and silver here about 1859, forming the Colorado Mining District. The three largest mines, the Techatticup, Wall Street, and El Dorado Rand Group, yielded over $6,000,000.

This portion of the Colorado River was navigable before the construction of Hoover Dam, allowing steamboats and barges to freight goods 350 miles from the Gulf of California to the mouth of Eldorado Canyon and upriver. The steamboat era peaked in the 1860s but continued to the turn of the twentieth century.

In 1867, the US Army established an outpost at Eldorado Canyon to secure the riverboat freight and to protect miners in the canyon from Native Americans. The military abandoned the camp in 1869. In the 1870s the mines flourished again, producing ore until World War II.

Queho Posse Chapter 1919 E Clampus Vitus marker reads:

The Techatticup Mine, located in 1861, was the most important mine in El Dorado Canyon. It produced millions of dollars in gold ore, and was originally served by steamboats on the Colorado River. The mine's name is taken from two Paiute words meaning "hungry" or "bread".

Two of Nevada's most famous renegade Indians lived in the canyon: Ahvote, who killed five victims, and Queho, who killed over twenty people. Near this spot, Queho killed his last victim, Maude Douglas, in 1919, and successfully eluded Sheriff's posses.

Queho Posse Chapter 1919 E Clampus Vitus marker reads:

In 1940, Charley Kenyon and Art Schroeder located a cave above the Colorado River, about twelve miles northeast of this spot. In it were the remains of southern Nevada's last great renegade, Queho, who had been dead about six months. Queho had grown up in Eldorado Canyon area, and was responsible for a string of murders between 1910 and 1919. After the last killings, he continued to live in the area for another 20 years. The bones were identified by physical characteristics, and artifacts found in the cave which were known to have come from various murder victims.

Located in the Eldorado Mountains.