Las Vegas Centennial Commission marker reads:
The notorious Block 16, North First Street between Ogden and Stewart Avenues, was the only area in the Las Vegas Townsite, outside of hotels, where liquor could be sold, starting in 1905. The block quickly changed from its original liquor and gambling activities to feature prostitution. The swankiest of the clubs was The Arizona Club, the "queen" of Block 16. World War II brought an Army Gunnery School, later Nellis Air Force Base, to Las Vegas. Bowing to the Army's demands, the City ordered prostitution on Block 16 to end in 1942.
City of Las Vegas Diamond Jubilee marker reads:
Block 16 has a special place in Las Vegas history. Much was permitted here: rowdy saloons, gambling halls and tainted ladies. Whereas the rest of the townsite had the usual restrictions. Block 16 was wide open.
The land currently occupies: California Hotel and Casino east parking lot.
Was located on the land that is bounded by East Ogden Avenue, North Casino Center Boulevard, Stewart Avenue, and North First Street in Las Vegas, Nevada.